NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Rob Wilcox, candidate for City Comptroller and spokesperson for the Los Angeles city attorney’s office, on Friday approved a recall campaign against the LA county attorney George Gascon.
the recall campaign told Fox News Digital on Wednesday that he had collected more than 400,000 signatures and raised $6 million. The campaign needs 566,857 signatures – 10% of registered voters – by the July 6 deadline to ask the recall question on the November ballot.
“In less than a year and a half, George Gascon shunned victims and their families, showed contempt for the hard work and judgment of his dedicated deputies, and bent over backwards to accommodate violent criminals,” he said. Wilcox said in a statement Friday. “Gascon is a study in arrogance. As crime ricochets through our neighborhoods, he rejected the advice of dedicated career prosecutors in his office and instead stubbornly doubled down on his failed and short-lived clemency policies. sight for criminals.”
City comptrollers manage the city’s money, acting as both auditors and accountants who help run various city departments.
COUNTY DA GEORGE GASCON REVERSES BOND POLICY, WILL ALLOW EXCEPTIONS IN CERTAIN CASES AS CRITICISM MOUNTS
Wilcox, who is also a former assistant LA City comptroller, listed “three things” he considers Gascon’s “wrong moves”, including “the banning of filing sentence enhancements for violent crimes and l ‘use of firearms in crimes’; “ignoring and abandoning victims of crime, both in new cases and at parole hearings”; and “pursue multiple policies that blatantly disregard state law and the proposals passed by voters.”
“As City Comptroller, I am committed to finding myriad ways to make our city so much safer,” Wilcox said. “However, this is a difficult task because the current DA puts the rights and interests of accused and convicted criminals far ahead of those of the general public and victims of crime. We must remove Gascón because his misguided experience of criminal justice ‘reform’ is endangering all residents of the City of Los Angeles.”
Gascon on Thursday rescinded a policy prohibiting his assistant prosecutors from asking for cash bail, which he wanted to eliminate, as criticism of his office continues to mount amid rising crime and calls for his eviction.
HANNAH TUBBS, HANNAH TUBBS, MOLESTER OF TRANS CHILDREN IN CALIFORNIA, CHARGED WITH FIRST DEGREE MURDER
A Note to Prosecutors from Sharon Woo, Deputy Chief Prosecutor and Deputy District Attorney George Gasconpresented a plan to create a pretrial services program that would balance “both the rights of the accused while protecting public safety” as an alternative to cash bail.
“After listening to the community, victims, and members of this Office, I have decided to allow limited exceptions to the pretrial release policy while such a program is finalized,” the memo reads.
Gascon’s most recent criticism came after his office refused to press felony charges against the man accused of attacking the comedian Dave Chappelle during a May 3 performance at the iconic Hollywood Bowl with a replica knife.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Additionally, a Los Angeles transgender inmate named Hannah Tubbs, who had previously been convicted of child molestation and sentenced to two years in a juvenile facility after being deemed a minor under Gascon policies, was accused of murder and flight earlier this week.
“Tubbs had a very long criminal record before George Gascón allowed Tubbs a minimum sentence in a juvenile facility, which included arrests and convictions for murder, robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, domestic violence and even a prior sexual assault of a 4-year-old girl,” Assistant Los Angeles District Attorney Jon Hatami told Fox News Digital at the time.
Fox News’ Louis Casiano contributed to this report.