What Training Do Building Inspectors Need?

What Training Do Building Inspectors Need?

A building inspector is someone who is employed either by a local government, county or state and is qualified in one or more fields to render qualified judgment as to whether a structure meets building standards so that the integrity of the structure is not compromised or destroyed. There are several types of building inspectors including structural, electrical, plumbing, fire alarm systems, HVAC, and roofing, to name a few. The type of building inspector you choose will depend on what type of structure you are trying to repair, the size of the structure, the amount of money involved in fixing it and how extensive your knowledge is of the particular subject matter. If you are just repairing some minor damage to a building, then a general building inspector may be able to assist you, if you are repairing major issues such as a ruptured plumbing line or complete roof replacement then hiring a structural engineer or architect will be the way to go.

Suggestions For Dealing With Building Inspectors

Zoning regulations, building codes, and electrical codes are all subject to change at any given time and having someone knowledgeable in all of these areas is vital to ensuring your safety and that you comply with all of the laws. An experienced building inspector will have in-depth knowledge of all zoning regulations in your community and should have an excellent understanding of all local building codes and any pertinent ordinances. These zoning regulations can include such matters as when and how structures must be attached to the building they are on as well as any restrictions on landscaping and building heights. All of these things need to be addressed before beginning any work and should be included in any written contract between the parties involved before any money is spent.

As building inspectors are licensed in all regions and serve many different purposes, there are several different organizations that certify such professionals. Some of these organizations are the NHDI, IBCE, CHEA, and even the CTIA. It is important to contact these organizations when you require additional certifications to ensure you are dealing with a qualified and competent individual. You may wish to work with an individual who holds multiple certifications and is willing to offer consultation regarding all of your construction needs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *