Kyrgios’ Wimbledon campaign to continue as assault hearing looms

0

Nick Kyrgios’ claim that ‘all publicity is good publicity’ is being put to the test after the Wimbledon quarter-finalist was summoned to a Canberra court over an assault allegation against his former partner.

Kyrgios’ Wimbledon campaign was turned upside down when it emerged late on Tuesday night that he was due at the ACT Magistrates’ Court on August 2.

The 27-year-old is potentially facing a common assault charge amid reports he grabbed his former girlfriend Chiara Passari in an incident before Christmas last year.

“ACT Policing can confirm that a 27-year-old man from Watson is scheduled to appear in ACT Magistrates Court … in connection with a charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021,” a statement read. police statement.

Drama struck Kyrgios just 24 hours before his scheduled quarter-final against unseeded Chilean Cristian Garin at the All England Club on Wednesday.

It’s Kyrgios’ biggest game since losing his 2015 Australian Open quarter-final to Andy Murray and the mercurial talent’s best opportunity yet to reach the last four in a slam for the first time.

In a statement to the media this morning, the All England Club, which organizes the Wimbledon tournament, said it had been made aware of the legal proceedings involving Nick Kyrgios in Australia, and as they are ongoing, we are not unable to offer a comment”, however “we are in contact with Nick’s team and he remains scheduled to play his quarter-final match”.

Chiara Passari and Nick Kyrgios in a photo posted on Instagram during their relationship.

The allegations surfaced hours after Kyrgios sarcastically fired a London tabloid reporter for grilling him over a decision to wear bright red shoes on center court and a red cap to his press conference, a decision which flew against the strict policy of the All England Club. white dress code.

“Because I do what I want,” Kyrgios said after earning a five-set fourth-round victory over American Brandon Nakashima.

“No, I’m not above the rules. I just like to wear my Jordans.

When the reporter accused Kyrgios of complaining about the ongoing controversies surrounding him, the polarizing star said, “I’m not moaning. I love it. More attention for me.

” What does it mean ? All publicity is good publicity, right? »

Kyrgios, however, didn’t seem to like the latest ad as he put on a dejected figure after a training session at SW19 on Tuesday.

He refused to comment in front of the cameras and a large media contingent, then somberly left the club, notably without his girlfriend Costen Hatzi, a constant in previous sessions of this campaign and with whom he said on Monday he was obsessed.

Kyrgios spent the first week of the Championships being questioned at his post-match press conferences about his behavior on the pitch after being fined US$10,000 (A$17,600) following his victory at the first round against British wildcard Paul Jubb and another US$4,000 (A$5,800) after a stormy third-round win over Stefanos Tsitsipas.

He can expect another heated press conference after playing Garin, win or lose.

The ongoing court case is an explosive distraction after Kyrgios earlier vowed to fight through the pain barrier of a shoulder injury that required two rounds of medical treatment in his fight victory over Nakashima.

Barrister Pierre Johannessen of Johannessen Legal, meanwhile, issued a statement early Wednesday warning that “today’s media headline that Mr Kyrgios has been ‘charged’ is inaccurate”.

“At this time, the allegations are not considered facts by the Court, and Mr. Kyrgios is not considered charged with an offense prior to the first appearance,” the statement said.

“…While Mr. Kyrgios undertakes to respond to all allegations once clear, taking the matter seriously does not justify any misinterpretation of the process Mr. Kyrgios is required to follow.”

Victory over 43rd-placed Garin would propel Kyrgios into a first Wimbledon semi-final on Friday against 22-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal or 11th-seeded American Taylor Fritz.

-PAA

Local news matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it, and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today

Powered by
Press Patron

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.